Winter Pet Safety Tips in Farmington Hills

It seems to be a common belief that since our pets have fur coats, they can handle the cold much better than we can. While this may be somewhat true for certain breeds, no pet should be left out in the snow and cold for longer than they need to be. Cats and dogs can suffer from hypothermia and frostbite just like we can.

Protect Your Pet from the Cold

If your pet needs to relieve themselves outside, let them out quickly to do their business and then bring them back inside. When taking your pet on walks, invest in a sweater or jacket for them that fits comfortably and offers extra protection from the cold and wind. If there is ice, snow, and/or sidewalk salt on the ground, we recommend special footwear (‘booties’) to keep their paws warm and protected. Sidewalk salt can irritate or burn your pet’s paw pads, and burn their mouth if they happen to lick the salt.

Winter Pet Safety Tips in Farmington Hills, MI
Dog safely enjoying the winter season

Be Mindful of Toxic Substances

Antifreeze can be a lifesaver for drivers, but it can be extremely dangerous for pets. Antifreeze contains an ingredient called ethylene glycol, which gives antifreeze its sweet taste. If consumed in large enough quantities, it can be fatal for your pet. Check for antifreeze spills in your garage and driveway, and keep containers tightly sealed and far out of year pet’s reach. If you’re concerned that your pet may have ingested even a small amount, call us at (248) 471-3636 immediately.

Foods to Keep Away from Your Pet

The best thing about the holidays is usually the food, and it may be hard for your pet to resist stealing a cookie or a piece of turkey or chicken when you’re not looking. Certain foods, such as chocolate (especially dark chocolate and baker’s chocolate), onions, garlic, macadamia nuts, grapes, and raisins can make your pet very sick if ingested. Turkey and chicken bones can be a choking hazard or cause internal injury to your pet. Ornaments, ribbon, tinsel and pine needles can also be hazardous. Keep your pet away from the Christmas tree stand—the water can be toxic, especially for cats.

We know how hectic the holidays can be, but we want you and your pet to enjoy the season. If your pet shows any signs of illness or injury, don’t hesitate to call us at (248) 471-3636. We’ll be more than happy to help!